l
       

Home        About us       Journals      Submit Manuscript        For Authors       Contact us
Academic Web Journal of Medical Science (AWJMS)
AWJMS - Publication

Academic Web Journal of Medical Science  
Volume 2 issue 2 pp 019-023 May, 2017

Case Report

Changing pattern of breast lumps among Ethiopian women 

Shemssie Bushira S., Engida A., Mahteme B. and Alemayehu T.

St. Paul’s Teaching Referral Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

*Corresponding author. E-mail: alett2005@gmail.com.


ABSTRACT

Breast lump is the second most common presentation of breast disorders preceded only by breast pain. Benign lesions are the most common breast diseases accounting for 90% of all clinical presentations of breast problems. Reference to breast lumps is scanty in our local literature and our main objective is to profile pattern of presentation and outcome of breast lumps treated surgically at our hospital. A total of two hundred and fifty (250) patients underwent surgical treatment for breast lump/mass in SPHMMC, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, between January, 2013 and December, 2015. The history, physical findings, pathologic reports and other investigations were thoroughly reviewed and pattern of presentation, pathological causes and treatments offered for patients with breast lump/mass were analyzed. Median age of presentation was thirty-one (31) years. Breast cancers constituted almost half (49.3%) of breast lumps while the rest (50.7%) of the conditions were benign lesions. The most common age of presentation for benign lesion was 23 years and fibroadenomas comprised the commonest benign condition. The majority (68.5%) of patients with breast cancer were below the age of 50 years and most (60%) of them had axillary lymph node involvement. Modified radical mastectomy with axillary lymph node dissection was done in 92(42%) of patients. No patient in our study underwent breast conservative surgery implying absence of candidates and inaccessibility to adjuvant radiotherapy.

Key words: Breast cancer, fibroadenomas, breast lumps, breast masses, breast cysts, fibrocystic, Ethiopia.

Full Text (pdf)724 KB
 

q

 List of Journals
 Abstracting and Indexing
 Publication ethics
 Freuently Ask Questions
 

n

   Enter your email
 
 
 

Copyright © 2017. Academic Web Publishers. Home | About us | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Terms